Latest News for Philippine Defense

AFP sees no security threat during BOL plebiscite but remains alert

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is deploying around 10,000 troops and support units to help secure the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL) plebiscite set on January 21, along with the Philippine National Police (PNP).

AFP public affairs office chief Col. Noel Detoyato said on Wednesday while no security threat has been detected for the upcoming plebiscite, they are not letting their guard down.

“So far, we have defused the tension, so we don’t foresee any major threat in the coming plebiscite. Nevertheless, we are still not letting our guard down and we will ensure the protection of the voters so that they can express themselves,” Detoyato said.

He gave assurances that the AFP together with the PNP – as well as with the help of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process, local government units and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front leadership – will ensure the coming plebiscite will be conducted smoothly.

Earlier, Detoyato said the military is committed to ensure the successful and peaceful conduct of all election-related activities this year.

The BOL plebiscite is slated for January 21 and February 6 while the mid-term elections will be held in May.

“Our combat operations and other security operations will always be in support to the honest, orderly and peaceful conduct of Comelec (Commission on Elections)-sanctioned activities,” Detoyato had said.#