Latest News for Philippine Defense

Duterte eyes Galvez as next OPAPP head

Outgoing Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Carlito Galvez Jr. is being eyed by President Rodrigo Duterte to head the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP), Malacañang said on Wednesday.

Galvez will replace Jesus Dureza who resigned last week as Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process, taking full responsibility for the corruption allegations against two OPAPP officials – undersecretary Ronald Flores and assistant secretary Yeshter Donn Baccay.

“The President announced his intention to appoint Carlito Galvez Jr. to the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process” during Tuesday night’s Cabinet meeting, Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement.

Galvez, a member of the Philippine Military Academy Class of 1985, will step down on Dec. 12 upon reaching the mandatory retirement age of 56. He had served the military for 30 years, including eight months as top official of the AFP.

During the inauguration of the Bohol-Panglao International Airport, Duterte mentioned he regrets accepting the resignation of Dureza, a high school classmate at the Cor Jesu College in Digos City, Davao del Sur.

Duterte fired Flores and Baccay over allegations of corruption. Both were involved in the OPAPP support services and implementation of the PAMANA (Payapa at Masaganang Pamayanan) projects.#