The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said the inclement weather due to typhoon Domeng has so far affected 22 families or about 93 persons residing in San Fernando, Pampanga.
NDRRMC executive director Ricardo Jalad said in the agency’s update on Tuesday the affected families have sought shelter with their relatives.
Death attributed to the weather disturbance remained just one – the drowning of a male resort employee identified as Algemon Dalisam Nunez in Barangay Corong-Corong, El Nido, Palawan, NDRRMC said.
Nunez, an employee of Orange Pearl Resort, went missing after his jet ski toppled in the sea. His body was found and recovered last June 8.
Jalad also reported that 16 houses in San Fernando, Pampanga were damaged by “Domeng,” six of which were destroyed while 10 were partially damaged.
A total of 87 municipalities and cities in the National Capital Region, Calabarzon, Mimaropa and Eastern Visayas were also forced to suspend classes on Monday due to the southwest monsoon or hanging habagat enhanced by “Domeng.”
Typhoon Domeng enhanced the habagat and dumped heavy rains over Luzon and Western Visayas over the weekend.
Last week, the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) declared the official start of the rainy season.
According to the state weather bureau, the habagat will continue to affect Central Luzon until Sunday, while Metro Manila will experience monsoon rains until Friday or Saturday.
PAGASA issued a yellow rainfall warning over Bataan, Laguna, Tarlac and Zambales on Wednesday. This rainfall alert means residents in low-lying areas can expect possible flooding.
An orange rainfall warning was also issued for Cavite and Batangas. This means flooding is a threat in these areas.
PAGASA said occasional heavy monsoon rains on Wednesday may trigger floods and landslides in Metro Manila, Ilocos and Cordillera regions, the Babuyan islands as well as in the provinces of Cavite, Batangas, Bataan and Zambales.#